I made pumpkin chocolate chip bread. That is more predictive than equinoxes and weather as far as I'm concerned. I don't know why fall is so pumpkiny tasting. I was going to type I don't know why pumpkin is so fall-y tasting but my typing produced the first version instead. Oh the wonders of the subconscious. The leaves are changing here in southern Ohio, and the weather has vacillated between freezing cold, quite pleasant, and hotter than is to be expected in October. I'm not complaining... winter is around the corner, which tastes peppermint-y, in case anyone is wondering.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
3 cups white sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
4 eggs
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
* You could probably also use 2 tbls pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon and nutmeg)*
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (or regular sized but the minis disperse better in the batter).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease three 9x5 inch loaf pans. In a large bowl, combine sugar, pumpkin, oil, water, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Blend in flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Fill pans 2/3 full. Bake for about 1 hour, or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool on wire racks before removing from pans.
For me, the recipe makes 2 big loaves + 12 mini muffins. You can always throw extra batter (or all the batter) in muffin tins. My one piece of advice: do not overfill loaf pans; they take forever to cook, the outside gets burned and the inside is uncooked. Don't fill more than 2/3 full. Mini muffins took about 18 minutes. The loaves take about an hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment