Sunday, October 2, 2011

Just because it's reggae music doesn't mean it's warm outside

Yesterday, I went to the Reggae Run, which is a popular 5K here in Cincinnati. Make no mistake, since moving to Cincinnati, I have not begun running 5Ks. I must maintain some semblance of my old life. You can buy a ticket just to the party, without having to put forth the effort of running uphill through Ault Park. So with your admission to the party, you get access to all the food and drink booths, as well as a freezing cold night of reggae music. All without running the race. I should state though, that we parked really far away and had to walk forever so it was kind of like I did the race. That was what I told myself as I enjoyed fried pickles, avoided goetta, and tasted the other bounties of fair-food that were offered. I was talking to some people who were asking when I moved, where I moved from, etc. and at some point it came up that I had lived in Ohio before. Typically, when people ask where I'm from, I flub around a bit. At this point it is easiest to say Cleveland given my current geographical location. So if you tell someone you're from Cleveland, they ask what part, because most people don't actually live in downtown Cleveland. So then I say Chagrin Falls, but I say it in this way of, oh you've probably never heard of it. The thing is, here, people have heard of it. So here I am in this huge group of people bopping along to reggae music, spilling beer everywhere, and 99% of them are wearing Ohio State sweatshirts, or Cavs hats, or Browns t-shirts and there's a tiny mental shift that occurs where I realize I live in Ohio. Again. And so far, that's not such a bad thing. They have fried pickles here!

No comments:

Post a Comment