I have a sneaking suspicion although I believed I had an ice cream making obsession this winter, I have only just begun... The deliciousness of strawberry buttermilk ice cream as we move from an unseasonably hot spring to what I believe will be a swelteringly hot summer may have just tipped the scales from obsessed to obsessed-er. (I always like to completely ignore the fact that the kids with autism and I are the only ones who make up words). I have tried to write an ice cream-related post a few times and haven't figured out what to write. In fact I am just noticing I went on a blogging hiatus for a month. Oops. I'm not good with schedules. So, back to the ice cream. I typically am stricken with severe decision making problems upon walking into an ice cream store - this started early on when we lived around the corner from a Baskin Robbins and I would go there and the flavors would always be the same (the 80s were not a time filled with gourmet ice cream flavors that varied with the seasons) and I would walk back and forth along the freezer case trying to decide which flavor I wanted and I ALWAYS got mint chocolate chip. Every time. Except for the occasional bubble gum which was always kind of gross and I remember regretting as soon as I took the first sugary bite. It turns out that I still to do the same thing now - I peruse ice cream cases for long drawn out minutes and typically get mint chocolate chip. The one ice cream store in which this is not the case is Capogiro in Philadelphia because they don't have mint chocolate chip. So it is interesting to me that the one flavor I have not made yet is mint chocolate chip. I've done salted caramel, chocolate coconut curry, bourbon butter pecan, chocolate cinnamon cayenne, dark chocolate peppermint, pistachio chip, honey peanut butter chocolate chip, toasted rice pudding with black tea, and today, strawberry buttermilk. Whoa momma. Each one has been completely delicious and unique and surprising in its own way. Except the rice pudding, which was weird, but that might be because I don't actually like rice pudding. The Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home cookbook makes me want to be a more adventurous ice cream eater. And go to the gym more often. Her ice cream flavors are just dreamy. End of the story. Buy an ice cream maker and this cookbook. Or move to Columbus or Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Or come over to my house all summer. Whichever option suits you the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment