a blog about a big transition which at some point might be about recipes or cooking or photos or whatever strikes me
Saturday, July 9, 2011
Turkish bagels
One of the best parts of vacation, other than the immeasurable delight of time with my family and seeing ancient cultural wonders, were the hotel breakfasts. I'm always curious about what other people eat for breakfast, and also what hotels think foreigners eat for breakfast. All of our hotels had an interesting mix of local treats such as cheese and strange looking sliced meat and more predictable Continental fare like chocolate croissants. Those are another post. My life is dark and dreary without them. Our hotel in Istanbul served these sesame covered bagely looking type things. My life will never be the same. Simit, as I now know they are called, are like a cross between a bagel and a croissant. They can go sweet with a little jam or Nutella, or savory with a little cheese. They're sold on the street piled high on carts like pretzels in NYC (I neglected to snap a photo) and are apparently the ubiquitous Turkish treat. I threw carb caution to the wind at breakfast and ate them by the plateful. Oh I'll just have one, and then maybe another, and another. I bemoaned the lack of my beloved Turkish bagels the whole time we were in Greece. So of course, I get home and I start googling to find the recipe because I must hold on to this tiny vestige of vacation. The dough is rising as we speak. I'll post the recipe if it works. Otherwise I will be searching for recipes that include sesame seeds because I am currently in possession of a one pound bag of them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment