Saturday, August 13, 2011

The deep dark shelves of my pantry

I cleaned out my pantry in an attempt to gain some control over this whole moving thing because I'm starting to fray around the edges a bit. I realized last weekend's visit to the beach was the LAST. Anyway, I am donating the canned goods and other sealed items. I threw away most of the half open bottles of vinegar (I have many varieties), and poured five jars of expired Indian or Thai flavored simmer sauces down the drain. I clearly need to be better about keeping simmerable proteins around. I have issued myself a challenge to bake with all of the rest of the stuff I found in the pantry. I'm not allowed to buy any more of any of the ingredients, except semisweet chocolate chips because I don't have any and they are important. It's sort of like reverse Iron Chef; instead of one ingredient, I have many.

Read 'em and weep:
2 packages Biscoff cookies
20.75 oz bittersweet chocolate
10 chewy werthers
1 bag marshmallows
1.5 cups mini marshmallows
12 oreos
1 bag heath bars
1.5 bags rolos
8 oz unsweetened chocolate pieces
1 bag milk chocolate chips
1 bag mint chocolate chips
1 bag mint m &ms
1/4 cup unsweeted cocoa powder
1 lb pecans
1 c coconut
1 can condensed milk
1 can dulce de leche
1 box somoas
1 box thin mints
a lot of oatmeal
1/4 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup mini chips

Please feel free to submit suggestions. I'll put them in my excel spreadsheet and take them under consideration.

4 comments:

  1. Yummmm!!! You've got a stash!! I'd vote Oreo rice crispy treats, but guess that would require a purchase, so no good... How about butterscotch-chocolate rocky road cookies??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops.... Sub pecans for walnuts?? Or there's always magic bars and then you can use the condensed milk and coconut... Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies?? (my personal fave-- esp Nildas; and the Neiman Marcus recipe where you blend the oatmeal... Boring, but a crowd pleaser-- esp when made as cookie "bites." man-- if only they had chocolate chips here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, what?? How are there not chocolate chips in England?? That's the craziest thing ever. No wonder we revolted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know, right?? i think that's the weirdest thing so far that they don't have... although, there's A LOT. i have to order them from a specialty "American" food website... and they're ridiculously expensive!

    ReplyDelete