Monday, June 27, 2011

European Vacation

It is hard to blog on vacation! I have so much to report on, but internet has generally been spotty (I'm out on our porch in the bright sunlight with a towel over my head and the computer in an attempt to get a clear signal). Since my last post, in short:
a visit to Cemberlitas Hamam, a Turkish bath (google it, and substitute older, hairier, naked ladies for the pictures they use as advertising), the Blue Mosque, a brief trip to Asia, Hagia Sophia, a ride face down on the floor of a taxi because it is illegal for taxis in Istanbul to carry more than 4 passengers, many accidentally ordered dishes with unrecognizable ingredients, always labeled "Sultan's favorite." The sultan and I do not have the same food tastes, sadly. An amazing four days on Santorini, in a hotel that requires 200 steps up to get to the town square. It's good, it helps burn off the daily baklava. A donkey ride up some stairs to get to Oia (eek!), a hike up the side of a volcano at noon (hot), a lovely but crowded sunset in Oia, a visit to a black sand beach (they're really pebbles), lots of Greek salad (no lettuce, so much better), a hydrofoil ride from Santorini to Paros in high winds (vomtown), and now here I am in Nauossa (Paros) on a deck typing a blog post. Pictures and updates to follow when I get home. Keep your fingers crossed that whole debt crisis/IMF mess in Athens doesn't impact my ability to continue to eat feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment