Saturday, June 4, 2011

Polo (aka croquet on horseback)

To answer a friend's question: did I feel a little bit like Pretty Woman at polo last night? Well yes, yes I did. I felt like a classy lady of the evening in a sea of people who make like 10 times my salary. As we drove in, a grouchy woman handed us a program and stuck her head in the car and said, "is there any alcohol in there?" I felt like I was 19. Not that I was doing that at 19, but really? My friend and I got ourselves settled, bought some wine from Chaddsford Winery, and got settled down to watch. Given my significant horse phobia, I did a quick check around the grounds to determine the most likely place a horse would go rogue and trample me to death. Nowhere was safe! No fences! We sat behind a few handsome wealthy looking older gentlemen wearing boat shoes and polo shirts and watched the game. For 2 minutes. Before I got distracted by wafts of cigarette smoke. If you are a smoker and a reader of this blog, I apologize, but I also imagine you know my thoughts on this matter already. I hate cigarette smoke. I turned around to demand that the smoker go elsewhere and came face to face with Old Man River, a man whose tan was so deep and grey/blond hair so wild and unkempt I thought he must be a hobo. I looked closer... boat shoes and a polo shirt. He and his wife (we'll call her Virginia Slims in honor of her 80s style lady cigarettes) have a home in the British West Indies. Of course they do. And then as I was paging through the program, there was a little advertisement for the Polo Club which gave a description of typical polo patron: highly educated (check), median income of 300K (not check), median house price of 600K (also not check), and many mentions of elite, culture, and society. It was clear you were not allowed to join if you were not of the most impressive breeding stock. I'll keep my eye out for a rich husband... or just take my white zin and head to the OTB to watch the ponies.


(All kidding aside, if you're in the Delaware/Pennsylvania area, this is a great Friday night activity. The weather was beautiful, you can bring a picnic dinner, and sip wine from local vineyards. You can buy tickets online here).

1 comment:

  1. I love a fancy night of polo, wine and bananagrams!

    ReplyDelete