Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cupcakes

I never like the buttercream frosting I make for cakes at home. It is always missing something I can't put my finger on. This frosting, however, is missing nothing. Totally delicious. As are the cupcakes.

Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
(from Joy the Baker who I think got them from someone else but this is not a research paper so I'm not going to go out of my way with the citations). I believe the frosting is hers.

makes 24 cupcakes

2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cupcake pans with liners and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds. In a stand mixer (if you have one), fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Otherwise use beaters for 100 years and ask for a stand mixer for your birthday. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is mixed in.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. The mixture might look a bit curdled but keep going. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and the vanilla milk mixture in three batches, starting and ending with the flour. When the batter is almost combined, stop the mixer and finish mixing the batter with a spatula, making sure that everything from the bottom of the bowl is well incorporated.

Use an ice cream scoop to divvy up batter into pan. Or a spoon. But an ice cream scoop is easier. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely before frosting.

The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
(I agree)
makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes or one 8-inch layer cake (I don't agree, I ran out toward the end).

1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup Ovaltine

Cream together butter, cocoa powder and salt. Butter mixture will be very thick. Turn off the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl and add powdered sugar. Turn mixer on low and mix in powdered sugar while adding milk and vanilla extract. As the sugar incorporates, raise the speed of the mixer to beat the frosting. Beat until smooth. In a 1-cup measuring glass, stir together heavy cream and Ovaltine. Turn mixer speed to medium and pour cream mixture into frosting in a slow, steady stream, until you’ve reached your desired consistency. You may not need the full amount of Ovaltine and cream. I only used about half. And it was not really pourable. No clue, but it still tastes and looks great.

2 comments:

  1. I just came by to say that I'm sure those cupcakes are delicious, but it looks like a dog crapped on the top of them and then you added sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete