Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Beginning

When people ask me where I'm from, I never know what to say. Baltimore until I was 12 1/2, Cleveland-ish until college, lovely Poughkeepsie for college, Boston post-college, Miami for grad school, and Philadelphia most recently. My dirty little secret is that I gauge my audience and use whatever city fits in best. I like the east coast- I don't mind visiting other time zones, but I feel unbalanced. I need east coastedness to feel settled and whole.

Maybe it is because that move to Cleveland-ish was a tad bit on the traumatic side. I still remember the terror of getting dropped off on my first day of 8th grade, including what I was wearing (a sweet polka dot tee dress). I think the only reason I'm not in a mental institution at this point is due to a quick thinking 4th period math teacher. Anyway, I swore that as soon as I could, I would move back to the east coast. Which I did. And stayed. And I never ever wanted to leave. 98% because I love it here in Philadelphia, but 2% because I HATE MOVING. I hate packing and unpacking and arranging and decorating. I'm not good at it. I really do not like finding a new place to live. I hate having to get adjusted to a new oven. I don't mind meeting new people or starting a new job or discovering a new city, but the whole moving thing really stresses me out a lot.

But now, due to an odd and perplexing twist of kismet, I am moving back westward, to Cincinnati (a city I find absurdly hard to spell), to a state I thought I would never live in again. Some may say I was being unreasonably stubborn by avoiding it. I'm sure I've offended my Ohioan loved ones with my refusal to even consider moving back, but I like what I like. I like liberalism and ethnic food, concrete, tall crowded buildings, loud streets and being near the ocean. I like being able to drive to NYC or DC or other cities ending in Cs. I even like the Lincoln Tunnel. I like that on a silly Saturday I could drive to DSW in NJ, Costco in DE (hello tax free shopping!), and then come home to PA with new shoes, a ginormous bag of chocolate chips and 12 pounds of salmon. I adore and love and am slightly stalkerishly obsessed with the restaurant scene in Philadelphia. I like walking to places. Or taking the occasional train. Don't get me wrong, I logically have nothing against Ohio. It has a lot going for it, with the stark exception of sports championships and the whole ocean thing.

So this blog will be my goodbye and I will love you forever letter to Philly and my life here, and my attempt at chronicling this new adventure to Ohio and handling it with what I hope will be more grace than I did 20 years ago. There will be no polka dots this time which will probably help.

3 comments:

  1. I hope the the trauma of moving to CF Ohio remains high on your list. If so you will do well. You make friends everywhere you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parental guilt is a terrible thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hooked on your blog already! So well written and funny. I'm ready to read all about this new journey...it's going to be an exciting one!

    ReplyDelete