Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I fell off the wagon

I made it a whole two months without coffee, more or less. There were two small slip ups (one brunch, one iced caramel macchiato in the blazing hot sun of San Antonio). In early February, I got a TERRIBLE cold. Worst cold ever ever. When I'm sick I don't like coffee, I like tea. So I decided I would see what would happen if I became a tea drinker. I made it all the way to today. It's warm outside. It's time for iced coffee. I can't live without iced coffee. A boy I dated when I lived in Boston once told me that Dunkin Donuts medium iced coffee had the perfect proportion of milk and sugar to coffee. So true. Smalls and larges don't taste the same. He also told me he let me win at Trivial Pursuit, which was not true. But the coffee thing was important enough that I can forgive the untruthiness of the Trivial Pursuit comment.

My foray into tea drinking (it never felt quite right if I'm honest with myself) was timid at best. I stuck to Twinings brand, and drank only English Breakfast. I tasted both Lady Grey and Earl Grey, but the Greys' teas had too much taste. It wasn't that I minded drinking tea, I just missed the taste of coffee. Tea doesn't look as pretty to me in the cup. It doesn't have that same cafe au lait look to it. I missed being a coffee drinker. This all got me thinking that there's a culture to coffee drinking, and a culture to tea drinking. Coffee drinkers are frenetic, slightly agitated, perhaps ulcer ridden from the acid in the coffee. Tea drinkers are calm, serene, and British-ish. I clearly do not fit well into the latter category. Plus, iced coffee. I can't do without it.

2 comments:

  1. Tea drinking is a learned art laced with subtlety and sophistication. There are teas to drink at different times of the day, seasons, and moods... more European. Coffee is a bit more obvious, more "in your face" more, how shall I say...American?

    ReplyDelete
  2. not surprisingly i'm a tea drinker-- but this was before the england move. i'm an earl grey myself (much to the bemusement of the English who think that "fancy tea" is not real tea; they seem to forget that they're the ones that imported all this fancy stuff back in the day)... but i do like a coffee every once in a while... ESP dunkin donuts. but what i miss the most? iced tea. for a country of tea drinkers, iced they do not do. i guess that's just way too fancy. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete