Monday, April 25, 2011

My love of yoga

I am not athletic. I have tried many times to be athletic to no avail. I throw like a girl, I sprain things easily, I have bad aim, and I am just not motivated by being sporty, despite my best efforts. Each athletic endeavor I have attempted has ended in some tragic yet predictable way.

Ballet (had an emergency bathroom break in the middle of the recital), Gymnastics (the uneven bars still strike fear in my heart), Softball (was in far right field behind three other people who were in actual right field), Basketball (was on "B" team, and scored one basket the whole season... for the other team), Winter soccer (I liked the rugby shirts because they looked sporty but it was far too cold for running around outside), Lacrosse (all the cool girls played it! I don't think I successfully caught or threw the ball, and the rules were confusing), Field Hockey (I think I had a brief flirtation here around the time I had the tryst with lacrosse... neither went far), Tennis (I have a wickedly dangerous and unpredictable backhand), Biking (a guaranteed fainting spell and day long wooziness), Adult kickball (it turns out not even I can kick a giant red ball right in front of me but the drinks were good), Running (think wounded three-legged hippopotamus... I did get a varsity letter in track statisticianing though), Rollerblading (I don't do well with wheels for feet), Horseback riding (let's not go there), Cheerleading/Dancing/Aerobics (let's also not go there, there, or there), Walking (most of the time okay but I have more skinned knees post-early elementary school than I would like to admit).

Swimming is about the only actual sport I am even remotely good at, although more from a distance perspective than a speed perspective. Why my high school swim coach insisted upon having me be the anchor leg (that's the last one, right?) of the relay team is beyond me. Tragic with a capital T. The nice thing was that in an empty pool you can really hear your teammates cheering you on! But yoga, oh yoga, how I love you. I am actually good at yoga. Now you may say yoga is not a competitive sport, and I would agree. But I totally don't care. Because I can do it. I don't get flustered because I'm losing, or messing up a team, and I don't lose track of what the instructor is doing. I am proudly in the front row. I wonder if when I move to Cincinnati and join the Cincinnati Sport and Social Club, I can respectfully decline the Sport portion?

4 comments:

  1. Yoga is good for the soul and body...namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. at what point do you start experimenting with spinning? and did you get the philly power yoga groupon? i did, but i feel like i need to put it all off until after the exam as reinforcement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not sure i like the idea of spinning as a reinforcer but we definitely need to do it. otherwise i may run out of things to blog about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this made me laugh out loud-- you're too funny! i too love yoga. if only i could find a class nearby. :( they have it at my gym but i hate gym yoga. it's never quite as relaxing.

    ReplyDelete