I have often said that when the lady genes were handed out in my family, I got the baking ones and my sister got the beautifying ones. My brother also got baking genes (and I think the baking genes might have originated on the paternal side) so perhaps I should not offend their manliness by calling them lady genes, but I digress. I do not fancy myself good at making things (other than cakes) pretty. I don't feel I interiorly decorate well, I can never figure out where to hang things (so I don't), color matching does not always make sense to me, and I am taken over by feelings of panic in places like Homegoods, where there is a veritable bounty of decorating accoutrements. I don't even have a unifying theme that pulls my apartment together. Much like Donny and Marie, my apartment is a little bit French Country and a little bit Iraq and roll. Or that general Middle Eastern area at least, but "carpets from Saudi Arabia" was not going to finish that play on words off well. So. This weekend, it is possible that I gained a small measure of self confidence in the decorating area. I went to visit my friend in D.C. (if you live there and I didn't call, please don't hate me). She's about to have a little mini and the baby furniture was getting delivered this weekend. So on Saturday afternoon, we spent some time moving things around in their apartment to make room. A bookcase got moved into a bathroom, and this is where all the magic happened. Things had to go on the bookcase; a rolled towel here, a cute basket there, a vase of branchy things on top. I think I actually made some good decorating suggestions for the bathroom. I think I am perhaps not as bad at this whole decorating thing as I thought! I think when I move to Cincinnati I'm going to finally have a cute and well-decorated living space that does not look like an eccentric mixture of clutter and mismatched furniture that can rather horrifyingly be characterized by a song by the Osmonds. And if I don't pull it off, I'm moving to D.C. to live in my friend's bathroom.
Georgetown:
The Capitol Building:
The Supreme Court:




hilarious!
ReplyDelete