a blog about a big transition which at some point might be about recipes or cooking or photos or whatever strikes me
Sunday, May 15, 2011
A cautionary tale related to planning/organizing
I was in Ohio this weekend taking my state jurisprudence exam. I a. barely made it to Ohio due to poor directional sense and bad time management, and b. barely passed the test due to procrastination and last-minute cramming. On Friday morning, I come to find out I must have extra identification for the background check I have to complete. Surprise! So I leave work early Friday, drive back into Philly, get my social security card and passport, get back in the car, get stuck in heinous afternoon traffic on Walnut St., get to the airport, and drive around three times trying to find economy parking. I finally find the parking lot. It is at this point 4.30 and my flight leaves at 5.35. I see a shuttle drive by me and stop at Shelter L. I race after it. I have a friend that said that the saddest thing in the world is watching someone run for a bus. I think it's from a movie. Anyway, so I run, in heels, after the bus, waving my non-luggage holding hand. The bus drives away. I feel like the saddest person on Earth. I start to panic, and then begin to do the deep breathing I suggest for my anxious patients. Which really did not seem to work. Long story short, I make the flight (I was the last one on before they closed the doors), and settle down to study for my exam. I get some good studying in and make flashcards. I arrive in Cleveland, go to dinner with my parents, and do some more studying after dinner. Then I wake up at 6 am for some more studying (and taking pictures of the dog, but that is another post). I go to the test. The first thing that happens is the proctor does not have my info. This does not totally surprise me because my path toward this exam has been rocky at best. She explains the test, asks the first question (passed, thank you) and then the second (little shaky, but also passed), and then the third. It is at this point that I realize I did not study for an appropriate period of time. I plain old had no idea what the answer was. And we're not talking about a multiple choice question here. I start to panic (deep breathing also did not work again) and then provide some vague, blabbering answer that reminded me of this reporter that had a stroke/migraine during the Grammys and spoke in gibberish. But I passed. Fourth question was similarly perplexing to my overloaded, disorganized, and flushed with epinephrine brain. But I passed. It was a Christmas miracle. Don't be disorganized! Study hard! Don't procrastinate! But, if you do and if you're a lazy studier, and you have intermittent attention, and you're disorganized and discombobulated, it turns out, you can still be a licensed psychologist!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment