What does one bring to a BBQ? This is the question that I don't tend to wonder about too much. I always bake. Always. So this time I decided not to bake. It feels uncomfortable and I am fighting the urge to go back on my decision. What I did whip up was a little batch of Alabama Caviar. I wish I had a Southern grandmother with a recipe box full of butter-filled, dressing-soaked, cheese-drenched delicacies served with a side of all the family secrets you can dream of. I don't, but I do have a family recipe for hummus. Many of my favorite recipes come from a friend of mine who does happen to have a Southern grandmother or two, and he was the one who introduced me to Alabama Caviar (and Chocolate Wet Cake and Grits a Yaya and a whole other mess of not-good-for-you food that takes me back in a second to the halcyon days of grad school). It's very satisfying when making Alabama Caviar to put all the ingredients together and then dump a bottle of cheapo salad dressing over top of everything and know, without a shadow of a doubt, that it will be delicious. I like to serve with Tostitos Scoops chips because you can eat more of it at a time. It's like a little mini edible bowl for the caviar- super classy.
Alabama Caviar
3 16-oz cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed of all juice
1 small jar chopped pimentos, juice included
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, green part only
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
3 canned or fresh jalapeƱo chiles, chopped*
1 firm, ripe, chopped tomato
2 cups vinaigrette (1 bottle Italian dressing- Kraft or Wishbone, nothing fancy)
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed or minced
In a large bowl, stir all ingredients very well. Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours, preferably overnight, in a sealed or covered container. The longer it sits, the better it gets!
*If you are going to chop by hand, wear gloves. I didn't and it makes it hard to take contact lenses out later.

YUM!I do have a Southern grandmother, but she's from Tennessee, so I haven't seen anything like this in her bag of tricks (of course, we were hard-pressed to get many recipes from her as she had most memorized and now at 93, has forgotten a lot... I did get her peach cobbler recipe and even one of her cast iron skillets which very well may be my favorite kitchen tool. they are indestructable). Can't wait to try this! (And I'm with you on the jalapenos... I've made that mistake. :(
ReplyDelete