Monday, May 9, 2011

Lessons on lazy baking

I'm insanely too lazy to take and subsequently post a picture, but I just made these and they're really good. They're from one of my favorite blogs, Smitten Kitchen. Her pictures are better than mine anyway. I am not going to pretend that I adapted the recipe at all, and the only changes I made were how I mixed it together because I almost never put all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. I just throw it all together. Either way, I give full credit to Smitten Kitchen.

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa (Hershey's, no need for the fancy stuff)

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Whisk flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Or, frankly, just dump it all in when it's time. Just make sure the flour goes down first and the baking powder on top so it still gets mixed in. First, mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix just until flour is incorporated. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least one hour. Or overnight because you were attacked by the same lazy monster two days in a row.

Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for 1/4-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Eat too many and then watch a Weight Watchers commercial and feel slightly ashamed but also bad for Jennifer Hudson because she doesn't have any of these cookies to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment